Monday 18 February 2013

Week 1



The hardest part of deciding if I was going to do Ironman Wales is the commitment of time required to get to the start line. But as always I have the support of my wonderful wife, which means I will have the motivation and time to be able to give it my all.

Well here we go, start of the base phase. This shouldn't really task me much compared to what I've been doing already over the winter.

Monday is a rest day, and who am I to argue.

I was able to just about squeeze both of Tuesday's sessions in before work. First up was a 30 minute Z2 run, which I did on the treadmill, which was followed by a 60 minute swim set. As I'm used to doing a 90 minute session before work this is pretty much par for the course.

A short brick session was the key session on Wednesday (all done in the comfort of the gym). This was followed by a strength and core session and quick blast of #febrowary.

Thursday morning and the swim was a bit of shock to the system. It was probably the longest swim I'd done since Ironman Wales. But it was soon done and ticked off. The main set was 4 x 125m; 4 x 175m; 4 x 125m. First evening session today a gentle Z1 30 minute ride on the turbo.

Friday was a very easy day, just a thirty minute Z2 run. So I bulked it out with a row and some work on the TRX

The building block of any training plan is the steady bike ride, this week's is a 60 minute session which I did on the turbo.

At last I get a session outside, I don't think a 45 minute run counts as long, but it was steady and at a decent pace. 8.6km in 46 minutes, giving me a pace of 5:07km.


A summary of my training is shown below

Summary of Week 1
Activity Actual Time Planned Time Variance +/- Percentage
Swim 2:12 2:00 +0:12 28%
Bike 2:00 2:00 +0.00 26%
Run 2:01 2:00 +0:01 26%
Other 1:35 0:45 +0:50 20%
Total 7:48 6:45 +1:03

All sessions ticked off, but it was an easy week



1 comment:

  1. and so it begins....
    You finally entered then.
    Happy days, #iaatb

    ReplyDelete