Tuesday 19 March 2013

Week 5


Bloody hell halfway through the Base phase already.

I'm not sure if Monday's rest day was to recover from

a. The training week
b. The cross country
c. Saturdays drinking session
d. All three

My swimming felt slow during Tuesday's swim set of 1 x 300m, 3 x 200m, 1 x 300m. Possibly because the pool was too warm now.

One of the downsides of Ironman training is that I end up missing time with my family, and tonight's run was a case in point as I was unable to take James to rugby training. But it was a good 9.1km run taking me 47 minutes.



My legs are feeling the strain and I had to get the foam roller out, and followed that by putting on my recovery tights.


Still had that DOMS sensation when I woke up on Wednesday morning, but nothing a quick brick session wouldn't sort out. Followed this with some strength and core work, and another blast on the foam roller.

Was still feeling the DOMS on Wednesday evening, so out came the roller and the tights.

Another 2,500m swim time trial on Thursday morning, I posted a time of 52:17 which is nearly 1 minute faster that 3 weeks ago. Very pleased with the progress made over such a short time.

I'm really enjoying the Thursday evening spin out on the turbo, especially now as we've had the conservatory replaced. 45 minutes tonight; lovely stuff



Friday's 60 minute run was on one of my usual routes, taking in a few hills (111m of climbing), but still keeping the pace ticking over.



I'm really enjoying these steady Z2 sessions (I'm also feeling the benefits too), it's a shame that I'm gonna have to inject a bit of pace soon.

Well there's no more pontificating, I've committed myself to racing Ironman Wales for the second time.

In another shock to the system, I actually went outside on my bike. I took in a great route out to Rhos and back.



It felt good to be out and about, despite it being a touch on the fresh side, so I ensured I was wrapped up nice and snug. Plenty of climbing too, with 482m of elevation in the 44km



The weather was perfect for running on Sunday and it was a pleasure to be out there. A great run at a very satisfying pace



A summary of my training is shown below

Summary of Week 5
Activity Actual Time Planned Time Variance +/- Percentage
Swim 1:55 2:00 -0:05 22%
Bike 3:07 3:00 +0.07 35%
Run 3:06 3:00 +0:06 35%
Other 0:40 0:45 -0:05 8%
Total 8:48 8:45 +0:03

All sessions ticked off again.

Cumulative Summary
Activity Actual Time Planned Time Variance +/- Percentage
Swim 10:46 10:00 +0:46 26%
Bike 13:08 13:00 +0.08 31%
Run 13:00 13:00 +0:00 31%
Other 4:55 3:45 +1:10 12%
Total 41:49 39:45 +2:04

A real feeling that I'm making some gains already with some good progress being made on the swimming and running.



No comments:

Post a Comment