Tuesday 14 May 2013

Week 13



Woke up on Monday morning feeling better but still not right. Due a family wedding on the weekend my training week needs to be shuffled around and the planned run for today was cancelled.

Following on from being hit with this virus, I've leaned that it can cause a considerable groin pain, I got the following passage from Buzzle
Enlarged Lymph Glands: The lymph nodes are a very important part of our immune system, and help fight infections and other foreign substances. Enlarged or swollen lymph glands actually refers to the enlargement of one or more lymph nodes in the groin area, which may occur due to different bacterial or viral infections. In rare cases, these may be painful.
Moving forward, I'll treat unexpected groin pain with a little bit more respect and be wary that it might be the onset of a virus. Because with hindsight I started feeling this on Saturday morning.

I still wasn't feeling 100% on Tuesday morning, so I decided to give the swim session a miss. As the day progressed I was becoming more and more certain that another full day's rest would be beneficial, so that is what I did.

Wednesday morning, and I'm back on it. Obviously my training week has already been disrupted, so I'm going to wing it for the rest of the week. I felt the best way to ease back into it would be a session in the pool. Very happy to get another 3km set under my belt; the main set being 4 x 200m, 6 x 100m, 3 x 50m.

What better way to spend a Wednesday evening than with an hour of the turbo (with a couple of 5 minute Z4 efforts), I tell you how it's better: by adding going out with the lads for some mid-week drinking and a curry. 

The alarm on Thursday morning seemed to go off far to early, thankfully I wasn't too late going to bed. But the swim session really seemed to drag; main set being 16 x 25m, 600m pull buoy, 16 x 25m.

We had some atrocious weather in the afternoon, with torrential rain and gusts over 70mph. Definitely not training weather, thankfully by the time I went out for my run in the evening it had somewhat relented. This was my first run for over a week and it wasn't too much of a shock to the system.

Back in the pool for the third day running, the main set was 10 x 50m, 5 x 100m, 8 x 50m. All pretty much went to plan

After what has already been a momentous season for Swansea City, it looks like they'll be part of another piece of history. As well as being part of the award of the Premier League trophy, it will also be the last home game for Sir Alex Ferguson. British football will certainly be different without his presence, I really admire what he has achieved in his 26 years at United, but having read his biography and watching his antics over the years, I'm pretty sure I don't like him.

I did my longest ever turbo session on Friday evening, 180 minutes of sweaty turbo action. And it really was sweaty. The worst bit was the fact the Sky+ box hadn't recorded the Giro. The turbo session was followed by a 30 minute hilly run






We had a lovely day at the wedding on Saturday. We were up and on the road by 8 o'clock, so any early morning session wasn't on the cards. But there was an added bonus when we got to the hotel, as there was a very nice gym there and I managed to get a strength and core session ticked off.

Well done to Wigan in winning the FA Cup! 

Despite having a reasonably late night and a few pink pints, I set the alarm for 7 o'clock to get my run in before we set off home. Unfortunately I fell back off to sleep after switching off the alarm. But as the saying goes "the road to Hell is paved with good intentions". I've had some poor sleeps this week so I probably needed the extra sleep.

I finished off the week with a gentle 30 minute spin on the turbo. Even though it's an easy session I was pleased to get it done as it could have been very easy to have not bothered.

Unfortunately, Swansea City couldn't hold out to spoil Sir Alex's farewell party, but they put in a great performance and pushed the champions all the way.


Summary of Week 13
Activity Actual Time Planned Time Variance +/- Percentage
Swim 3:57 3:00 +0:57 37%
Bike 4:30 5:15 -0:45 42%
Run 1:30 3:45 -2:15 14%
Other 0:41 0:45 -0:04 6%
Total 10:38 12:45 -2:07

A week where I missed off sessions to start with due to injury and missed one off at the end due to to life just getting in the way.


Cumulative Summary
Activity Actual Time Planned Time Variance +/- Percentage
Swim 32:42 29:00 +3:42 25%
Bike 48:59 49:15 -0.16 37%
Run 37:01 41:30 -4:29 28%
Other 13:06 9:45 +3:21 10%
Total 131:48 129:30 +2:18

After two weeks of not hitting my training targets, I'm determined that week 14 will be back on plan.


1 comment:

  1. good effort to squeeze in what u did methinks.
    u wouldn't have really wanted to run up mancland anyways. too dangerous.
    #iaatb

    ReplyDelete