Monday 27 May 2013

Week 15


After 7 very interesting years (yes, being an accountant is VERY interesting), this will be my last week in my current role. Unfortunately, my role is being made redundant.

After some pretty in depth investigating it looks like there isn't much call in the professional sporting circuit for a slightly below average triathlete, and it doesn't look like this will be the route of making my fortune. Therefore, in the meantime, I'll continue with being an exceptional accountant.

To this end, I've secured a new position which will start on 3 June. However, there is the small matter of a starting time of 7:30, which means morning training sessions will be going out of the window. But, on the plus side, I will now be working a four day week.

After a tough week's training, Monday's rest day was a welcome tonic. Even more so was taking in the very pleasant evening courtesy of a BBQ and just the one beer.

Really didn't feel the love for the swim on Tuesday morning; the main set being 4 x 200m, 6 x 100m, 3 x 50m. I was glad to see the back of the pool once I was done.

Boom! Smashed out a smashfest on Tuesday's run. A 60 minute Z2 run with 2 x 6 minute Z4 efforts. I covered a distance of 12.6km in 61 minutes giving me an average speed of 4:50 kms.

Wednesday morning is rowing and weights time. and why should this week be any different. Bang! All done.

It was a tough session on the turbo on Wednesday evening, 60 minutes with 4 x 5 minute Z4 efforts. These eye popping sets are as much a test of mental fortitude as of physical endurance; as you have to keep on going to the well when you're already hurting.

I felt that the swim set on Thursday went well, the main set being 16 x 25m, 600m pull buoy, 16 x 25m.

My legs felt a little heavy in the brick session on Thursday evening, and this was apparent with a slightly slower run.

I flew seemed to fly through the swim set on Friday morning, the main set being 10 x 50m, 5 x 100m, 8 x 50m.

It is my last day at CyDen today, it is has been an emotional day. I'll miss the friends and colleagues I leave behind. But now I've got to think about the challenges ahead.


Took advantage of an early finish to get my afternoon run in before attending the Dunvant RFC 125 year anniversary dinner. Gareth Edwards was the speaker, and he regaled stories on his trials for the Welsh team and starting out with the Lions. It was great to hear that even legends have the same doubts and feelings of uncertainty that us mere mortals go through.

James's presentation day was starting at midday, so I switched my run/bike days. So, I was up nice and early got my 45 minutes done on the turbo, followed by a great run with @NAGabriel 



We had a great time at the presentation day (some of us more than others, but I'm not naming names). I kept my imbibing to an acceptable level and was up and out on my bike for a 4 hour ride by about 10:15 on Sunday morning. 

I wasn't in the mood to pick a route so I just headed west for 2 hours and turned around and came back - I got as far as Nantgaredig.


The profile was pretty much flat, lumpy, flat, lumpy, flat, climb. With the section between Kidwelly and Carmarthen providing the hills


I covered a distance of 110km in just over 4 hours giving me an average speed of 26.6kmh, not bad with 803m of climbing.

I followed this with a 30 minute brick run, thankfully I was collecting the car from Saturday night, so I didn't have to climb back up the hill. I covered 6km giving me a very acceptable speed of 5 minute kilometres.





Summary of Week 15
Activity Actual Time Planned Time Variance +/- Percentage
Swim 4:05 3:00 +1:05 25%
Bike 6:38 6:30 +0:08 41%
Run 4:15 4:15 0:00 26%
Other 1:22 0:45 +0:37 8%
Total 16:20 14:30 +1:50

Very pleased to break 16 hours and felt strong and full of energy at the end of the week.


Cumulative Summary
Activity Actual Time Planned Time Variance +/- Percentage
Swim 40:22 35:00 +5:22 25%
Bike 61:23 61:30 -0.07 38%
Run 45:20 49:45 -4:25 28%
Other 15:50 11:15 +4:35 10%
Total 162:55 157:30 +5:25




1 comment: